Wednesday, October 8, 2008

England is a foreign country

With the notable exception of scrambled eggs, which I'm sure I could persuade most restaurants to provide for a nominal fee, there really haven't been any items I've looked for here and been unable to find, or found and discovered to be unexpectedly pricey.

Except for... Post-Notes. I've been looking for these on and off for the last week, to no avail. While many places carry the little flags (which are probably not such a good idea for actually using in books), the notepad proper is apparently a much less popular item. The reason for this became clear yesterday afternoon, when I finally found a store that carries them, and discovered that a six-pack of the plain yellow ones costs £6.59, or about $13.00. By contrast, $13.99 will get you a twelve-pack of the same item from Staples or Office Max.

Seriously, London stationers, wtf? I know the sticky stuff on the back is patented by 3M and therefore the brand name items probably have to be imported and I bet tariffs on paper products are ridiculous, but please to be coming up with some home-grown knockoff that I can actually afford!

No comments: